Sunday, February 1, 2015

Blog Post

          At the moment, I'm not reading a book in English because I just finished "Flowers for Algernon" recently, so instead I'm reading a French book called "La Gloire de Mon Pere", which means 'the glory of my dad', so I hope it's okay I'm reviewing a book in a different language... The book is written by the famous deceased French actor Marcel Pagnol, and is a story of his childhood. When his family goes to the South of France for the summer, he discovers a whole new world that's almost magical to him, where hunting is the main activity. It's a very fun and enjoyable book to read, and it really brings you into his world when he was a child. I find it interesting how this vacation really seems to change his life and who he is, and how much of an effect hunting, and this part of France, ends up having on him. I also found it interesting how much close he and his father get through the sport of hunting.
          When he in his family first arrive at their summer home, Marcel is a bit reluctant to leave the city behind, but is also intrigued by this new world he's about to enter. Once they arrive, he discovers a magical place of animals, insects, sun and plants. He immediately starts spending his days outside with his little brother, and discovers the millions of amazing things that the countryside has to offer. I found it amazing how much one summer changed him, as he was very reluctant to leave at the end of the summer, and actually considered running away from his family to live as a hermit in the countryside. I think this shows how having the kids of my generation spend maybe just a summer at the countryside, or somewhere where they'd be surrounded by nature, could help them appreciate the outdoors more, and focus less on electronics. This book taught me a lesson and showed me incredible aspects of France and nature.
          I also found it interesting how much of an impact hunting had on Marcel, and his relationship with his father. Midway through the summer, his father and uncle decide to go hunting, and they leave out Marcel from their plans. He sneaks out at dawn and follows them, accidentally disturbing a flock of birds and sending them towards his dad and uncle to be easily shot. Once he reveals himself to them, they decide to have him replace the role of a dog, running in front of them to scare animals and make it easier to hunt. Marcel finds a whole new passion, and he and his father bond over it. He and his father have a strong connection, but his father isn't very good at hunting, which causes Marcel to feel humiliated. Once his father finally kills a large animal, Marcel feels so proud, showing just how much of a connection they had. After that summer, he and his dad's relationship was never the same he says near the end of the book. I think this shows just how much a common passion/interest can change a relationship, and someone's life. Hunting helps Marcel appreciate nature even more, and he discovers a new facet of the wild.
          In conclusion, I loved this book and how descriptive and enjoyable it was. It felt like I was right next to him, running through the grass and seeing a partridge run away, the smell of the countryside around me. I, personally, have been to the South of France, and I think the author really captures the essence of the beautiful place it is. I also liked how well Marcel Pagnol capture the essence of his childhood, and it really allowed me to see how he thought as a child, and what his childhood felt like. All in all, this was a great book, and I'm very happy to have discovered recently that there is a sequel to this chapter of his childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment